Zombiewalk.com - Your source for all Zombie Walk and Zombie Flash Mob planning!
ZombieWalk Home ZombieWalk Forums ZombieWalk Blog Contact ZombieWalk's Owner

Go Back   Zombiewalk.com - Your source for all Zombie Walk and Zombie Flash Mob planning! > Zombie Walks (in the United States West Region) > The Oregon Zombie Walks

Old 09-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Site AdminModerator

Default Zombiewalk 2006 >> Portland OR >> Thurs Oct 5th

Hi! ...er, I mean "Grrahhgh! Brains!"

I'm organizing a Zombiewalk to coincide with the October First Thursday (Portland's monthly art gallery crawl in the NW part of the city). I run a gallery of my own, and in October I'm featuring art by John C. Worsley (www.openvein.com); his show is called Dead Valentines, a collection of work from his upcoming zombie comic book. Hence the coordinating a Zombiewalk for the event.

Additionally, some of the zombies will be players from Baron Von Goolo's Museum of Horrors & Food Court of the Damned, one of the three featured haunted houses in Frighttown. (www.baronvongoolo.com)

Here's the proposed route for the walk

-- if you're in the Portland-metro area, have always wanted to freak out snobby gallery patrons and/or dress up like a zombie, then you have to come out for this!

Contact me for more details.

Kaebel
Old 09-20-2006, 12:35 AM
Site AdminModerator

Send a message via AIM to twilightspeaks Send a message via Yahoo to twilightspeaks
Default Hi!

I'm very interested in this. If you need or don't mind another body (or two), so to speak, my SO and I can show up zombified wherever you want us be, at any time. I enjoy doing trauma makeup, and haven't had a chance to be a zombie since college.

Sarah
Old 09-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Site AdminModerator

Default Re: Hi!

Hi! back...

The more the merrier, I say! So please, join us. The invitation extends to everyone in the area that's interested in zombies, art, or both. The walk itself starts in Jamison Square in the Pearl district, then travels past a bunch of galleries before getting to mine, where there will be artwork from an upcoming zombie comic book.

Loved the pics of your make-up work -- well done! Do you or have you worked in theater?

Kaebel
Old 09-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Site AdminModerator

Zombiewalk 2006: Dead in the Pearl! Update:

Here's the completed guide to with destinations and tips for proper zombie etiquette...

or click HERE for a downloadable PDF for printing.

Be sure to visit our Zombiewalk partners:

John C. Worsley openvein.com
Baron Von Goolo's Museum of Horrors & Food Court of the Damned baronvongoolo.com
Stumptown Comics Fest 2006 stumptowncomics.com

And thanks also to:

The Kids Your Mother Warned You About
DJ Miss Meghan of Songs the Lord Taught Us
Local Morlock Union #112 (founders of Plunderathon!)

See our mention on Portland Mercury's BlogTown USA:
http://www.portlandmercury.com/blogt...hgh_brains.php
...I knew there was a reason I liked the Mercury better than WW.

Grrahhgh! Brains!!!
Old 09-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Site AdminModerator

Default UPDATE: 21 Sept 2006

The organizers of last year's inaugural ZOMBIEWALK PDX are organizing another shamble-a-thon for this October! (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ZombiewalkPDX/) This means TWO Zombiewalks this month!

Since theirs was the original for the Portland area, and thus the inspiration for "Dead in the Pearl", you know I'll be participating in both. And I highly recommend that you do the same. It's ZOMBIES fercryinoutloud! How could you not?

Also? The word is out on Craigslist.org now as well: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/eve/210490064.html

As we get closer to ZW2006itP, I'll post more information about Baron Von Goolo's players and The Kids Your Mother Warned You About players, as they will be the on-site coordinators.

Grraahggh! Brains!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered Zombie
ModeratorSite Admin

Default brains brains they're good for your heart

I can't wait for this first thursday! We're doing another zombie walk... possibly joining the Original Zombie walk on their oct 28th one. http://groups.myspace.com/pdxzombies yours sounds totally awesome. i hope you dont mind me posting it on my group.

-Blancazombie
Old 09-26-2006, 06:46 PM
Site AdminModerator

Blancazombie:

Excellent! I've been promoting your ZW along with the Orignal ZW, so thanks for posting the info about the 1st Thurs ZW. I think with all the ZWs happening, that October is the Zombiewalk Month for Portland!

-Kaebel :twisted:

To all Portland Undead:

"How do I make myself look like a zombie?"

I've been getting this question from friends lately, and while there are plenty of resources on this site and elsewhere on the 'Net, I've compiled a quick list of helpful websites to cut down on your search-time:There's also YourZombie.com, which sells an assortment of zombie-related t-shirts. I'm rather fond of "Who Died and Made YOU Fucking King of the Zombies?" and "Come and Get It! It's a Running Buffet!"

If anyone has any other links, resources, comments or whatnot, be sure to post a reply.

Grraahrgh! Brains!!!

-Kaebel :twisted:
Old 09-28-2006, 08:48 PM
Site AdminModerator

ONE WEEK til DEAD IN THE PEARL!
30 DAYS til 2nd ANNUAL ORIGINAL PORTLAND ZOMBIEWALK!

To promote both of these events, and/or include your own, help yourself to this flyer:

(Click HERE to download a printable PDF)

Grrarghh! Brains!!!
Old 09-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Site AdminModerator

Default ZOMBIE ETIQUETTE

RE: DEAD IN THE PEARL (Oct 5th)

The Modern Zombie's Guide to First Thursday Etiquette
(...or How Best to Eat the Brains of an Artsy Crowd)

There are general, common-sense guidelines that apply to large gatherings of fun-loving, like-minded individuals, solely for the purpose of not getting into real trouble, and also ensures the ability to carry on with such shenanigans in the future. ZOMBIEWALKS are no exception.

First of all, there are the How-to-be-a-Zombie basics...
  • Stand in the tub/shower during makeup application. A little morbid, perhaps, but it's better than getting goop all over the bathroom, and cleanup is a breeze.
    Wear your full costume during blood application, to keep a consistent look.
    If you have time, allow some blood to dry a little (about 10 minutes) and then re-apply another layer differently, to get a nice effect.
    Learn to act properly. Zombies are slow, stiff, dim-witted, can't talk well, if at all, and crave human flesh.
    Make moaning and gasping sounds when you breathe through your mouth. It adds great effect. Your jaw should hang slack at most times. If you must make other noises, talk in gibberish or moan louder/higher. Moaning always works.
    Shamble, don't walk. Lean forward and almost fall with every step. Adding a limp or dragging one leg works great as well. Swing your arms limply, like you don't ever use them.
    When passing people growl or groan at them and wave your arms. Some higher-level zombies tend to moan for "BRAAAIIINSSS!!!" as well.
    Be stupid. The average zombie has an IQ barely above freezing temperature. They will run into walls, trip, fall, and can't work with their hands.

Then there's the standard DO's AND DON'Ts for any Zombiewalk...
  • DO keep an eye out (no pun intended) for willing "victims" along your route. Carry some extra fake blood and makeup to "turn" more citizen into zombies.
    DON'T just reach out and touch someone! Some people just don't get the joke, and will likely scream for help.
    DO interact and encourage any Junior Zombies in your Zombiewalk. Zombiewalks make great all ages events what kid doesn't like to dress up and play. Just be sure to be mindful of the little ones.
    DON'T scare non-zombie children, if at all possible. They won't know it's fake and you'll get their parents mad.
    DO obey pedestrian laws.
    DO NOT do anything illegal. Dressing up in a costume is not an excuse to break windows, loot shops, or flip cars.

Additionally, this First Thursday happens to be the 20th anniversary of First Thursday. Because of this, there are a few extra points to take into consideration for our "Dead in the Pearl" Zombiewalk...
  • DO arrive at the rendezvous point (Jamison Square) already in costume. For pre-Walk hijinks, I recommend traveling there by Portland Streetcar.
    DO watch for the volunteers that are leading the Zombiewalk: They are members from THE KIDS YOUR MOTHER WARNED YOU ABOUT and BARON VON GOOLO'S MUSEUM OF HORRORS & FOOD COURT OF THE DAMNED They will identify themselves at Jamison Square.
    DO follow the route map; DO use the map to meet up with the zombies en route if you're running behind.
    IMPORTANT: If you choose enter any of the galleries along the route, BE RESPECTFUL of the Galleries, the curators, and most importantly the Art. If asked by the curator/staff of any gallery to leave, please do so graciously. The idea is to provide a humorous shock to the perceived stuffiness of the First Thursday scene, not make people angry.
    It is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you DON'T enter the galleries along the first part of the route (i.e. Attic, Blackfish, Elizabeth Leach, PDX Contemporary, Lawrence). If you decide to do so, please refer back to the previous point.
    It IS RECOMMENDED that you DO enter the galleries located on 5th & Couch (i.e. Backspace, Compound, Upper Playground, etc), and the galleries at the Everett Station Lofts. Still be respectful, but these areas are more Zombie-Friendly.

And lastly, above all else...
DO HAVE FUN!!! This isn't worthwhile unless you intend to have a blast doing it.

Kaebel JK Hashitani
Curator Sequential Art Gallery + Studio; and
Organizer Zombiewalk: Dead in the Pearl!
Old 10-05-2006, 12:08 PM
Site AdminModerator

Default I don't have any Zombie make-up

Will there be people to meet with before to do make-up?